Saturday 24 September 2011

How often do you get the oil in your car changed?

I know they say every 3000 miles, but I was curious how often you do? Is 3000 really a good estimate or do they just give that number to get you to come back more to get your oil changed (like at jiffy lube)?How often do you get the oil in your car changed?Depends on the type of driving you do. If you mostly do %26quot;easy%26quot; freeway driving, you can change the oil every 5,000 miles.

If you do a lot of stop and go or pull a trailer or some other 'heavy duty%26quot; driving, change it every 3,000 miles.

Also depends on the oil you use. Synthetic oil lasts longer.

In general follow what the manual to your car says, not what those %26quot;experts%26quot; at Jiffy Lube say.

I own two Mercedes cars. One old and one newer. I do normal city and freeway driving. In the old car I use regular oil and change it every 4,000 miles. In the newer car I use synthetic oil and change it every 8,000 miles. By they way, the old car manual says 5,000 and the newer car manual says 10,000 but I do it a littler more often to be on the safe side.

My Mercedes mechanic, who I trust completely, agrees with me.
How often do you get the oil in your car changed?
i do it every three months
How often do you get the oil in your car changed?
It depends on your driving characteristics, your engine, choice of oil, and other factors. Generally 5,000 miles works well, unless you have more information to go on. To really be sure, you can have an oil analysis done for about $25-.



In our Jeep, we are going 10,000 miles between changes based on:

* oil analysis

* premium synthetic oil

* driving style - mostly longer trips.
3000 no more then 5000
actually 3000 miles is just right ( unless it is synthetic oil ) that can go another 1000 miles, but at 3,000 miles the regular oil gets dirty.breaks down and stops lubricating like its supposed to, also from now on try using a quart of lucas oil stabilizer , you will notice the improvement right away, it costs 10 bucks at auto zone, well worth the price, and it will make your engine run cooler and get better mileage
every 3-5k



i think every 3k is too much
I change mine every 4000 miles, but I use synthetic oil in my vehicles. When I was using standard motor oil I changed it every 3000 miles. It will make you car last a lot longer.
3000 mile intervals is good for both the oil and filter to be changed. You don't want the old oil to be black, just a caramel to light brown color. Waiting until the oil is black will cause tarnish to build up on motor parts and with some vehicles that have adjustable cam timing as with Nissan and Infiniti's changing oil every 3000 miles is critical. The solenoids for the cam timing start throwing codes and big buck repair bills are next.

Changing oil every 3000 miles is the cheapest thing that makes a big difference to you cars life, it's not the place to save money. Using Mobil 1 is supposed to make it possible to go longer between oil changes, but the oil filters get dirty and I personally recommend just using regular oil with a factory oil filter every 3000 miles.

I have 206,753 miles on my 1998 Grand Prix GTP and the oil gets changed at 3000 mile intervals, so...don't consider it being a rip off.
  • hair treatment
  • wildlife sanctuaries
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment